We encourage all children to have a healthy and nutritional meal at lunchtime and a snack of fresh fruit during morning break. We also encourage children to keep hydrated during the school day with water.
Research shows that children who have a nutritionally balanced meal (rather than one that has too much sugar and fat) are better able to concentrate in lessons. All meals provided by the school must comply with the government Standards for school food in England.
All children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 at state schools in England automatically get free school meals. However, parents and guardians are encouraged to apply for free school meals when they enrol their child in school, as this can help their child’s school to attract additional ‘pupil premium‘ funding to support learning.
From Year 3 onwards, children whose parents are in receipt of the following are entitled to free school meals:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on – paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit.
Children who receive any of the above benefits in their own right (i.e. they get benefits payments directly, instead of through a parent or guardian) can also get free school meals.
How to apply
Use the online application form, which you can email to firstname.lastname@example.org or print out and post to FSM Team, Room L102, County Hall, Exeter EX2 4QD. Parents and carers can also ring the Education Helpline on 0345 155 1019.
Please ask at the school office if you need any help.
Children in Nursery and Year 3 onwards can also choose to have a school meal. These are payable in advance. The cost from September 2020 is £2.35 per meal and includes a main course and dessert.
The current menu is attached below.