At Holbeton we strongly believe in learning outside the classroom. It is a powerful way of teaching and learning and we are proud to be working towards becoming a centre of excellence for outdoor learning. Some of the benefits are as follows:-
· Make learning more engaging
· Make learning relevant- giving concepts real and relevant purpose by putting them in a more realistic context.
· Nurture creativity and imagination.
· Learning through play and experimentation
· Developing interests in the environment and the wider surroundings.
· Exposing children to new opportunities
· Keeping healthy
· Enjoying limitless resources
We achieve this in two ways. The first is by learning about the environment, such as Beach School and Forest School. These sessions are always linked to the current topics but delivered in a more hands on, practical approach. The second is learning in the environment during curriculum lessons such as Maths and Science. We aim to teach at least 2 of our lessons outdoors each week.